Tuesday 28 August 2018

A line drawn

We had our review with the consultant the other day. We went through the cycle in detail and discussed every aspect. He said that I was perfect, that the embryos were perfect when they were frozen.  He said how surprised he was and how he wouldn't have predicted this outcome for us with so many top quality embryos and having had a successful pregnancy from that batch. He said he know we are searching for reasons why but he just doesn't have any and he, himself, has searched for the answers too. He explained just how rare this is for him. We discussed our options and said how we didn't ever envisage that we would have to consider a fresh try if we wanted a third child. We asked about our chances of a natural conception since that's what happened with Lucy (and we have been trying again since March 2017). He said he would look at the last semen results from the sample that created Stanley. He said that the sperm were fine in quality (which I didn't realise, I always believed they were dodgy in all ways) but the count is "really terrible". He used those words. We asked what we can do to improve the count but there isn't much aside from the usual loose pants, no alcohol. He did say that his brother's consultant in Norway suggested he sat his nether regions in iced water three times a day. Can you imagine? I don't think that's something that we will be trying some how!

So there it is. The end of our reproductive journey. I doubt we will ever embark upon another fresh cycle (we simply don't have the money and have already had all the luck having S & L). But it is hard to get our heads around. My body has reacted badly to all the drugs, shock and upset and I've now been prescribed anti-depressants/sleep inducing drugs to get me through.  Work is looming after the summer break and I'm wondering if I'm able to function well enough to manage (I've already been offered a sick note from the GP but have left it for now). I know I am not coping. I'm a zombie and sleepy all morning. But September is a crucial time in my job and I have my exam classes to think about. I know many people would say that nothing is more important than your health but it's hard when you know you're the only one who can do your job, who knows your kids and their strengths and weaknesses. At present, I have no idea what I will do next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment